Get amongst all the action Straddie has to offer!
Straddie has long been a favourite getaway destination for athletes and people who just love an active lifestyle. Each year North Stradbroke hosts theStraddie Assault and Straddie Salute sport festivals – but you don’t need to show up on these weekends to enjoy all the ocean swimming, mountain-biking, running, kite-surfing, sandboarding, diving, surfing and kayaking that you can shake a bushwalking stick at!
North Gorge Walk
- The Gorge walk is 1.2km in length, on a purpose built boardwalk winding its way through sheoaks and pandanus palms.
- The views out to sea and into the North Gorge itself are mesmerising to say the least.
- Sea turtles and the largest pod of bottle nose dolphins in the world call Point Lookout home and are seen almost every day. Whales pass by frequently from June – November.
- Across from the entrance to the Gorge Walk is Fishes Café where you can hire binoculars and set off on the Gorge Walk.
- The walk takes about half an hour or longer if you want to take in the views and marine life.
- The Gorge Walk loops around the headland and brings you back past the kids playground to the shops and car park area at Point Lookout.
- You can bring your bike on the vehicle ferries – book your ticket prior to departure.
- The roads to Point Lookout and Amity Point are bitumen and in good condition for skilled riders.
- The roads have varying gradients for approx. 20km.
- The turn off to Amity is about half way between Point Lookout and Dunwich and is well signposted.
- Bikes share the main road with vehicles so ride safely.
- Remember to take water, a hat, sunscreen, a jacket in winter and a camera.
Straddie Kingfisher Tours
- Straddie Kingfisher Tours offer Straddie Eco & Adventure Tours on North Stradbroke Island
- Customised packages are available for individuals, school, social, religious or corporate groups. Whatever you want they will create the tour for you!
- Select from a range of tours including;
- 4WD Eco Adventures
- Sand boarding
- Bush walks
- Bird watching
- Fishing trips
- Land based whale watching (June-November)
Manta Lodge Scuba Centre
- Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre is the island’s only PADI dive centre.
- It’s located at Point Lookout and offers daily scuba dives and snorkel trips at superb island locations just minutes off shore.
- An open water certificate is required however beginner, one day resort, advanced and specialty diving courses are available.
- Equipment Hire is available.
- Bus operates from Brisbane on selected days.
- Bookings are essential
- Robinson Cruises is an Australian yachting business specialising in sailing charters on Moreton Bay, Brisbane in sunny Queensland.
- A range of cruises are available – Sunset & Champagne, Half or Full day Charters, Team building or Weekend Escapes.
North Stradbroke Island Golf Club
- The North Stradbroke Island Golf Club is located on Trans Island Road, a few kilometers out from Dunwich.
- It is a nine hole, eighteen tee, Par 70 course.
- The Club is open to the public and can also cater for social groups – bookings essential.
- Open 7 days a week.
- Bar and catering facilities.
- Golfing equipment including buggies available for hire.
- Scenic views of Moreton Bay and the Glasshouse Mountains.
Point Lookout Bowls Club
- The Bowls Club is located at 75 Dickson Way, Point Lookout.
- It has two magnificent bowling greens for barefoot bowls, night bowls, ladies and mens comps
- Excellent bar and dining facilities
- Live entertainment – check with the Club for details
- Tennis courts are located on East Coast Road, Point Lookout next to the Community Hall.
- Courts can be hired from the Straddie Roadhouse.
North Stradbroke Island Surf School
- The NSI Surf School has accredited coaches with Surfing Australia.
- All equipment is supplied including safe learn to surfboards, rash/sun vests and wetsuits if needed.
- The Surf School is located at Point Lookout where the ocean is crystal clear and home to a great number of Dolphins and Whales that are regularly seen during lessons.
- The water temperature doesn’t drop below 19C in mid winter and rises to a tropical 27C in summer.
Bob Minty Surfboards
- Bob offers a wide range of boards including short boards, Malibus, Mini Mals and 70s style twin and single fin surfboards.
- The store also stocks a great range of surf clothing and accessories.
Mal Starkey Fishing Charters
- Mal offers deep sea fishing charters from Point Lookout for up to 8 people.
- Tours include morning tea, quality fishing equipment, bait and non-alcoholic beverages.
Boating & Fishing
- Boats can be launched at Dunwich and Amity Point.
- The Little Ship Club at Dunwich has temporary moorings and pontoons.
- You can dangle a line from the jetties at Dunwich or Amity or cast a rod from the beaches or rocks at Point Lookout.
- For local knowledge visit Jim at Straddie Super Sports camping, bait and tackle store at Dunwich.
- Take only the fish you can eat and take care of yourself and the environment.
Blue Lake Walking Trail
- Blue Lake is about 9 km from Dunwich along the Trans-Island Road. It’s located within the Naree Budjong Djara National Park.
- Visitors must leave their vehicles in the allocated car park and walk to the lake, which is approximately a 6km return track.
- The track is a gradual climb and sandy in places – in summer it’s best to go early morning or late afternoon to avoid the midday temperatures.
- Blue Lake or Karboora meaning ‘deep silent pool’ is a place of significant cultural value to the Quandamooka people and they request that visitors respect that significance by not swimming in the lake.
- Remember to take water, sunscreen, a hat, a jacket in winter and a camera.
- There is an airstrip near Dunwich that can be accessed by small planes.
- It is situated at Airport Road
- The contact phone number for all enquiries and information is +61 7 3409 9727 or visit www.stradair.com